0

It's the little things that matter....

Posted by Chris on Thursday, March 19, 2009
Despite risking wiping out my FT232RL chip with some dodgy wiring, I decided to "go for it" and downloaded MProg from the FTDI website. It's a simple little utility which reads (and writes) the internal EEPROM on the FT232 chip.

It seemed to read the chip ok, returning the unique serial number, power settings and VID/PID combination. So I figured that the wiring must be ok if it can read the EEPROM - so why not try writing to it?

All I changed was the name of the device descriptor and left everything else as I found it. Then I unplugged the USB cable at the PC, gave the computer a few seconds to re-evaluate all the connected devices and plugged it back in.


Now you can even give your devices whatever name you like!

Suddenly the idea of creating my own PC peripheral devices doesn't seem to pie-in-the-sky after all. My PC says it likes my USB devices! And it knows what they're called. That's like when the girl/guy you've had your eye on for weeks suddenly turns around and addresses you by name....awesome!

0 Comments

Post a Comment

whos.amung.us

Copyright © 2009 .Nerd Club All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive Supported by Blogger Templates.