0

On your marks, get set....

Posted by Chris on Tuesday, March 17, 2009
A quick trip to Maplins in Brighton and £12.45 later, and I think I've got everything I need to build my first USB-to-serial device. Well, not quite: I'm still waiting for my programmer to be delivered from Hong Kong, but there's no reason why I can't get on with the electrical layout and trying out the FTDI drivers and so on. Even without programming the PIC micro, it'll be interesting to see a response from the PC, recognising a new USB device as it is plugged in.

I'm making a breakout board for the FT232 chip at the moment: you can buy them complete for about £20. But the chip itself is only about £3, a single chip on its own DIP breakout board costs £6 and a B-type USB socket £1.30
It was tempting to just buy an evaluation board, ready built, for twenty quid. But then I thought I could probably build the same thing myself for half the cost and blow the difference on an all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet instead!

0 Comments

Post a Comment

whos.amung.us

Copyright © 2009 .Nerd Club All rights reserved. Theme by Laptop Geek. | Bloggerized by FalconHive Supported by Blogger Templates.